Managing security is a continuous and dynamic process. With the dramatic increase in the number of connected devices comes a natural expansion of the attack surface and threat intensity. As 5G technologies become widely deployed, the weaknesses and inherent security flaws of 5G will be identified and hopefully quickly patched.
The adoption of 5G is inevitable especially for advanced services in healthcare, industry and entertainment. It is capable of hosting a massive number of devices, fulfilling the needs of the IoT and the IoE (Internet of Everything). Examples of services that are enabled include:
- Smart city critical Infrastructure: management and monitoring of numerous remote systems for traffic, energy and water facilities.
- Smart city transport systems, orchestrating traffic and vehicle flows, while collecting data from numerous sensors distributed around the city.
- Smart city post and delivery services, highly dependent on communication schemes and remote communications.
- Smart city financial services, where all payment machines are connected and require not only high speed connected services but also secure communications for transactions.
- Surveillance and traffic cameras, V2X, smart devices/services backhaul communications.
- Smart surgical operations.
- Smart city government complex operations.
- Day-to-day services such as 8k streaming, real-time mobile gaming into AR / VR experiences.
- Smart city emergency interventions.
With the dramatic increase in the number of connected devices comes a natural expansion of the attack surface and intensity of the threats. As 5G technologies become widely deployed the weaknesses and inherent security flaws of 5G will be identified and hopefully quickly patched. The key anticipated risks can be described as follows:
- Protocol weaknesses and large-scale vulnerability exploitation.
- Severe DDoS attacks.
- BYOD threats.
- Data security and privacy.
- State-funded terrorism, anti-fossil fuel activism, espionage or corporate sabotage.
- Critical infrastructure/public safety.