An overview of public policy measures aimed at the development of artificial intelligence (AI) technologies in the world and in Russia is presented. In order to evaluate the competitiveness of domestic developments created for the use of AI technologies in medicine and healthcare, a scientometric and patent analysis of the direction for the period 2010–2019 was performed. Based on the analysis of research fronts using the Essential science indicators methodology, the most promising research strategies have been identified.
- On the global publishing landscape, Russia occupies the 27th position in the world by the number of publications devoted to the use of AI in healthcare.
- Russian researchers account for less than 1% of publications indexed in the Web of science. To enter the top 5 countries in terms of publication activity in this thematic cluster, Russia needs to increase the number of publications by more than 6 times. Of the 16 companies in whose publications the participation of Russian authors are indicated, 13 are foreign.
- In general, only 14% of publications in the thematic category “Computer science, artificial intelligence” were made in collaboration with the industrial sector.
- In the landscape formed by patent documents that protect technical solutions in the field of AI in medicine, Russia takes positions that do not confirm its intention to fight for promising markets for goods and services created on the basis of these technologies.
- In the field of medical AI developments, the number of Russian patents issued to non-residents of the country significantly exceeds the number of holders of domestic patents.
- Only 12 patents of Russian developers оn AI technologies for healthcare issued by foreign patent offices were found.