This report presents the combined results of the fourth annual Developer Ecosystem Survey conducted by JetBrains. Feedback from 19,696 developers surveyed in the beginning of 2020 helped identify the latest trends around tools, technologies, programming languages, and many other acets of the development world.
- Java is the most popular primary programming language.
- Websites are the most common type of application developers work on.
- Web (Backend) is the most popular platform.
- Go, Kotlin, Python are the top 3 languages developers are planning to adopt or migrate to.'
- Python has overtaken Java in the list of languages used in the last 12 months. It is the most studied language. In the last 12 months 30% of respondents have started or continued to learn Python — even more than last year.