ICT.Moscow presented a review of AI mentions in the news headlines of Yandex.News from 2010 through July 2020 and identified which Russian cities were mentioned more often, in what context they were mentioned, how the perception of the technology has changed, and what topics the media were focused on.
- Artificial intelligence was mentioned in news headlines 61.5 thousand times during the whole period under study.
- Moscow is the leader in terms of the number of mentions, and over a half of the publications are from the first seven months of 2020.
- The main newsbreak in the capital was the launch of an experimental legal framework in the field of AI.
- In addition to Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Perm, Tomsk and Novosibirsk were included in the top-5 cities that were most frequently mentioned in AI news headlines.
ICT.Moscow also studied the context of news the headlines of which contained artificial intelligence.
- 84% of all publications which mention the technology are from 2017-2020 (51.5 thousand out of 61.5 thousand).
- An increase in the number of AI references in the headlines was accompanied by an increase in the number of the mentions of large ecosystem IT players.
- A more mature understanding of the “artificial intelligence” term started to be formed in 2013.